Hutchinson has been the site of the official Kansas State Fair since 1913. The Fairgrounds is located at 2000 N. Poplar, Hutchinson.
If you’re coming from Wichita, it’s easy to get to Hutchinson:
1 – Take K-96 West until you get to the Yoder exit. Head north on Yoder road into Hutchinson, past the airport and it will turn into 17th Street. This road will take you right to the fairgrounds. If you want to avoid congestion during busy times, cut north to 30th Street and then come into the north side of the grounds on Plum or Main.
2- If you’re aiming for the west or northwest side of the grounds, consider taking K-96 to South Hutchinson and continue north to downtown Hutchinson, where you can take either Adams Street or Main Street. This avoids congestion on 17th and 23rd.
3 – Take I-35 North to Newton and head west on Highway 50 to the Yoder Road/Airport Road exit. Exit right and head north past the airport where it turns into 17th Street. This road will take you straight to the fairgrounds.
When to go
Mornings and weekdays are much less crowded—perfect for kids 5 and under. Rides like the train and giant slide are open in the mornings with short lines. If you have older children focused on the midway, start in the livestock barns and exhibit buildings, as the carnival is not usually open in the morning—and sometimes not until later in the afternoon. Watch the schedule.
There are a lot of places to park around the Fairgrounds.
- Free lots: There are several businesses near the Fairgrounds that offer paid parking, but the Fair does offer FREE parking. Plus, it is easy to park and ride our free shuttle service to and from the gates, so there is really no need to pay the extra $5-$10 to park.
- Parking Lots A and B: North of the Fairgrounds, these lots are the closest to the 4-H Centennial Hall and the Encampment Building.
- Parking Lot C: East of the grandstand. Perfect for concerts, animal barns and the Midway. You can enter the Fair through either Gate 8 or Gate 9.
- Matt Shuttle: On weekends, the Fair offers free shuttle trips from the Hutchinson Mall. Shuttles run continuously from the Hutchinson Mall to Gate 1. Look for signs in the southwest parking lot. Hours: Sept 7-8 and Sept. 14 — Noon to 11 p.m.; Sept. 15 — Noon to 8 p.m.
Where to buy tickets
- Dillons: All Kansas Dillons stores are selling advanced gate admission to the Fair, as well as regular-priced tickets during the Fair. Tickets can also be purchased at the Fair’s ticket office at 2000 N. Poplar.
- At the Gate: Only a handful of gates will be selling tickets this year. Purchase your tickets at Gate 1, Gate 3, Gate 4, Gate 5, Gate 7, Gate 8 and Gate 9. Signs will be posted at gates directing patrons to where they can purchase tickets.
- Military Discount and ticket outlet: Show your military ID for $4 gate admission anytime! A new ticket outlet at McConnell Airforce Base is also selling gate admission and Nex-Tech Wireless Grandstand Concert Tickets.
Gate Admission Hours:
11 a.m. to 9 p.m. First Friday
7 a.m. to 9 p.m. First Saturday through last Saturday
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Last Sunday