STALLING DEADLINE IS AUGUST 15
LOCATION: EXPO CENTER
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENTS: Lance Fullerton - 620-412-7505Announcer
: Brice Knapp, Sterling KSJUDGE
: Garrett Bovard
- Friday, Sept. 8, 12:00 PM
- Saturday, Sept 9, 10:00 AM
- Sunday, Sept. 10, 10:00 AM
KANSAS STATE FAIR OFFERS................................................................................$6,000.00
SPONSORS OFFER:............................................................................................... $6,665.00
Entries are subject to the Kansas State Fair General Information and Rules
Kansas State Fair Stall Reservation must be done online at www.kansasstatefair.com. After August 15, late fees will apply.
- ALL CLASS Entries MUST send Entry Form along with entry/class fees to Lance Fullerton PO Box 1195, Emporia, KS 66801. Entry fees are payable to the Kansas Draft Horse and Mule Association, or KDHMA. Entry fees are $10 per class thru August 15 and $15 per class after August 15. No entries accepted after August 25. If you have questions, please call Lance Fullerton - 620-412-7505.
- All stall reservations MUST be done online at www.kansasstatefair.com. After August 15, late fees will apply. (See rule 1 above)
- Youth Showmanship. Use of a show stick is strongly encouraged for all entries. All youth exhibitors must be 17 years or under on the 1st day of the show.
- Halter Classes. A registration number must be provided for all mares & stallions entered in halter classes. If you have applied for registration but have not yet received it, please enter "Pending" for the registration number.
- Kansas Born and Bred. Halter class, open to all draft breeds, all sexes and ages. Horse must be Kansas bred and Kansas born. The same horse may be shown in this class and any other halter class that it is eligible for.
- Halter, Show Cart, Show Hitch & Barrel Racing classes - These classes are for Draft Horses only (American Cream, Belgian, Clydesdale, Percheron, Shire or Suffolk.) Any other breed must have advance approval of show superintendent.
- Pleasure Driving, Team & Youth Pleasure Driving, Team is open to any horses or mules. Any wagon or forecart may be used.
- Pleasure Driving, Single Horse/Mule is open to any horse or mule. It will be judged for a relaxed, pleasurable driving experience, so no headers will be allowed in the arena. The same horse may not be entered in Pleasure Driving and Show Cart or Show Hitch Classes.
- Cart Obstacle is open to any horse or mule and will be a timed event (walk or trot only). Course and rules to be posted at show superintendent’s stall for pickup. Maximum of two entries per horse or mule.
- Team Obstacle is open to any horses or mules and will be a timed event (walk or trot only). Must use a forecart - we should have one available. Course and rules to be posted at show superintendent’s stall for pickup. Maximum of two entries per team.
- Ladies' & Men’s Feed Team Obstacle is open to any draft horses or mules and will be a timed event (walk or trot only). Must use a sled which will be provided. Both a driver and an assistant (swamper) are required in this class. These two classes may be run concurrently, but will be judged separately. The Ladies' class is open only to Ladies. All mixed entries must be in the Men’s class. Course and rules to be posted at show superintendent’s stall for pickup. Maximum of two entries per class, per team.
- All Youth Drivers (17 & Under), in all driving classes, must be accompanied by an experienced adult - for safety. All youth exhibitors must be 17 years or under on the 1st day of the show.
- Premiums will be paid thru 4th place in all halter classes (provided there are valid entries in the class). Premiums that are not listed in the schedule below will be paid directly by the Kansas Draft Horse and Mule Association. Premiums will be calculated as follows: 2nd place- 75% of 1st, 3rd place- 50%, 4th place- 25%
- Premiums will be paid thru 5th place in all hitch classes (provided that there are valid entries in the class) Premiums that are not listed in the schedule will be paid directly by the Kansas Draft Horse and Mule Association. Premiums will be calculated as follows: 2nd place - 80% of 1st place, 3rd place - 60%, 4th place - 40% 5th place - 20%.
- This show is intended for draft horses and mules. If your animal is NOT a traditional breed of draft horse, (American Cream, Belgian, Clydesdale, Percheron, Shire or Suffolk), or a draft horse cross of one of these breeds, it must be broke to drive, and driven in at least one class, to be eligible to be in the show. Any exceptions to this must be approved by the Assistant Superintendent prior to your arrival at the fairgrounds. Please call Clint Fullerton 816-564-7071.
- Riding, Saddled walk trot only and Riding, Saddled-Walk/Trot/Canter.. The same horse may not be entered in both of the Riding, Saddled classes. You may enter Riding, Saddled-Walk/Trot only or Riding Saddled-Walk/Trot/Canter. You may enter different horses in both of the classes.
- Barrel Racing is for Draft Horses only - 16 hands and taller. For one entry fee, you will be automatically entered in the
Barrel Racing class for each of the three days. If you do not plan to
participate on each of the three days, please let the show superintendent know.
You are only required to run on any 1 of the 3 days, and only your single best
time will be used. Times will be announced after each run. Final rankings and
ribbons will be awarded only once, immediately after the class on Sunday. If
you are not present, any ribbons will be mailed to you. All gaits are allowed, including running. Maximum of 2 entries per horse.
- Team Barrel Racing: for Draft Horses 16 hands and taller. It will be a timed event (walk or trot only). Must use a forecart. We should have one available. Maximum of 2 entries per team.
- Amateur Show Cart – Open to adult ladies & men that have
not previously placed in the top 3 of Ladies Show Cart or Men’s Show Cart at
the KSF. (or any other state fair). An optional rider is allowed if they wish.
- Bev Myers Memorial Costume Class – is open to any horses or mules that are entered in
the show. It is intended to be a fun event and a fundraiser for the Cancer Council
of Reno County. (the KSF is located in Reno County) The only premium paid is
for $300 and will be paid to the Cancer Council of Reno County. The entry fee
is a minimum of $10 up to any amount you wish to donate. – all entry fees will
be passed along to the Cancer Council of Reno County. We recommend you pay this
entry fee with a separate check, payable to the Cancer Council of Reno County. We
plan to award the $300 premium, plus the entry fees, and any money the audience
donates directly to a representative of the charity during the Saturday evening
show, Your entry may be led, ridden or driven, and you are allowed to involve
family and friends. There is not theme this year, so use your imagination! If
you would like to show your support for a friend or loved one fighting cancer,
we encourage you to do so. You can go to
and click ‘cancer” for a complete list of cancer awareness colors. You may use
these colors, if you like, but are not required to. If you have any questions
about the class, contact Clint Fullerton 816-564-7071.
- Kids stick Horse Race - Rules and age groups will be posted at the show. It will be
a fun event for kids with no entry fee or premiums.
- Stalls - dismantling or tampering with any stall panels or pens is prohibited due to safety concerns and may jeopardize exhibitor participation at the Kansas State Fair.
- Generators are not allowed on grounds.
- Farm Team & Pleasure Driving Team: The same team may not be entered in both of these classes. An exhibitor may enter both classes with two different teams.
- Cultivator Obstacle Team: We will use a forecart with hardware attached to simulate a cultivator, "cultivating" a row of plastic cups. Event will be timed similar to the other obstacle courses. Walk and trot only.