READING A SCHEDULE
Kansas' Largest Classroom Lesson Plans
Kansas State Fair
Level: Elementary School, Grades K-2
Objectives: Gain experience in reading directions and reading schedules and lists
Materials: Copies of the Kansas State Fair Educator's Guide (can be obtained by emailing email@example.com)
Before the Fair
1. Search the KSF Educator's Guide for words that the students know. Help students plan a simple itinerary for their outing.
2. Devise a worksheet (appropriate for the abilities of the students) which asks them to use the schedule to locate information. Sample items might be:
a. What is the theme of the Kansas State Fair Education Center this year?
b. How many parking lots does the Fairgrounds have?
c. Locate the Education Center on your map.
At the Fair
1. Locate buildings and directions by using the map in the Educator's Guide.
2. Compile a list of new words; record their meanings.
After the Fair
1. Compile a master list of all new words collected. Set a target number before going to the Fair; see if the students can reach the target.