READING A SCHEDULE
Kansas' Largest Classroom Lesson Plans
Kansas State Fair
Level: Elementary School, Grades K-2
Objectives: Gain experience in reading directions and reading schedules and lists
Materials: Copies of the Daily Schedule of Events for each student.
Before the Fair
1. Search the Daily Schedule of Events for words that the students know. Help students to plan a simple itinerary for their outing.
2. Devise a worksheet (appropriate for the abilities of the students) which asks them to use the schedule to locate information. Sample items might be:
a. What is the theme of the Kansas State Fair this year?
b. How many parking lots does the Fairgrounds have?
c. Locate the Administration Building on your map.
At the Fair
1. Locate buildings and directions by using the maps in the Daily Schedule.
2. Compile a list of words new words; record their meanings.
After the Fair
1. Compile a master list of all new words collected. Set a target number before going to the Fair; see if the students can reach the target.