To Print Section Press "CTRL P"
ENTRY DEADLINE IS JULY 15
Grand Champion - $4,000
Dillons, Hutchinson, KS
Reserve Grand Champion - $2,500
Purina Animal Nutrition LLC and Countryside Feed; Hillsboro, KS
3rd Overall - $1,000
|S.J. Prill Financial & Investment Planning, Inc; Wichita, KS
4th Overall - $750
Twisted Stitch; Oklahoma City, KS
5th Overall - $500
Chase Farms; Abilene KS
4-H/FFA MARKET HOGS - SHEEP, SWINE & GOAT BUILDING
Swine Showmanship - Friday, September 6, 12:30 pm
Market Show - Saturday, September 7, 8:00 am
Breeding Show - Sunday, September 8, 8:00 am
, Show Manager,
Mike Beying, FFA Representative, (316) 727-1839
Jared Petersillie, 4-H Representative, (785) 798-3921
Entries are subject to the Kansas State Fair General Information and Rules
Check-in is from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, September 6. Animals must be on site by 11:00 am. The Grand Drive will be held Saturday, September 7 at 6:00 pm in Prairie Pavilion Arena. The Grand Gala will follow.
Market ONLY exhibitors will be released Saturday, September 7 between 8:00 pm and 10:30 pm. All other exhibitors will be released Sunday, September 8, when they are finished showing. Animals must be vacated on Sunday, September 8 by 5:00 pm. If pens are not vacated, KSF has the right to move animals to another location. Market ONLY exhibitors releasing early Saturday, September 7 will require a pass from their show manager. Please attend the exhibitor meeting to know when passes will be given out.
- Exhibitors are required to be YQCA certified. Check with your local extension office on this certification. PQA certification is still accepted if valid expiration date.
- Swine will be allowed on grounds at noon on Thursday, September 5. Anyone arriving before this time will not be allowed on grounds.
- All swine must be housed in the open class swine barn.
- Swine will be stalled as they arrive. If you want to stall together, arrive together.
will be NO base bid this year for swine.
- Market hogs will be shown by breeds as nominated or as crossbreds. Light Crossbred hogs and Dark Crossbred hogs will be combined into one Crossbred Division, separated by weight. Classes will be set at discretion of show management. Breed classes are as follows: Berkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, Yorkshire, Dark AOB (Spotted, Poland China, Hereford), Light AOB (Landrace, Chester White), and Crossbred.
- Market hogs must be tagged with an official Kansas EID ear tag by June 15. Nomination form and $8.00 fee must be submitted to: State 4 H/FFA Shows, Weber Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506, by June 15. The nomination fee does not constitute entry into this show.
- Swine exhibitors are required to be YQCA certified. Check with your local extension office on this certification. Valid PQA certification will be accepted until expiration.
- DNA Testing/EID Ear Tags - If an animal loses its EID ear tag, the exhibitor needs to contact their local Extension agent and have the tag replaced, then let KSU know the new tag number. This will need to be done prior to the show. There will be a $100.00 fee to collect DNA at the show if a tag is missing.
- Registration certificates are required for all purebred market hogs at check in when the animal's weight card is turned in and papers are checked at the Kansas State Fair. The registration certificate must be in the name of the 4-H/FFA member or approved Kansas family nomination name by June 15. Registration certificates will not be accepted for purebred hogs if the certificate is still in the breeder's name and the exhibitor's name is simply written or typed in the "transfer to _____" category on the certificate. Breed associations reserve the right to pull the certificates of animals without proper breed characteristics. Note: a faxed copy of the registration certificate will only be accepted if it is faxed directly to the Kansas State Fair from a national breed association office. Exhibitors MUST bring registration papers or the necessary credentials as per breed standard.
- Market hogs must weigh at least 230 pounds and not exceed 290 pounds. Exhibitors will provide their animal's weight on a card at check-in.
- Market hogs failing to make the minimum weight limit of 230 pounds or exceeding the weight limit of 290 pounds will be shown as super lightweight or super heavyweight animals. These animals will not be eligible to be shown as champions.
- The top two placings of each class will be weighed back. Animals with a variance more of than + or - 5% from the official weigh in weight will be disqualified. The Kansas State Fair reserves the right to weigh any animal.
- Any incisions due to castration or other procedures must be completely healed.
- A 4-H or FFA exhibitor may show a maximum of three market hogs at this show. If entries exceed pens available exhibitors will be contacted to bring fewer animals.
- There must be at least ten head in a breed class to offer full class payback. For a class with less than ten head, class payback will be prorated. Show management will use barrow classification guidelines provided by the National Swine Registry for final decision on any discrepancies. Animals that do not meet standards will be classified as crossbred.
- The top two placings of each class will be weighed back. No more than a 5% difference will be allowed from the official weigh-in weight. If
- Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Hog are terminal. Ownership will transfer immediately following selection by judge and collection of any samples. Exhibitors are expected to leave adequate feed or share complete ration. At no time is the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion animal to leave the testing area. Once samples are taken ownership transfers and animals remain with Kansas State Fair staff.
- Purchase and premium check(s) will be mailed upon receipt of wholesome test results
- Any purebred hog that fails the DNA tests for the stress gene, parentage verification and breed purity will forfeit all premiums and awards sponsored by the National Swine Registry and Team Purebred. Showmanship standings, however, will not be affected by failed test results. These results will be published by the NSR with pedigrees being pulled on all females.
Purebred market hogs without registration certificates, whose ear notches do not match the notches recorded on their registration certificate and/or whose registration certificates indicate the animal was misnotched will not be shown in purebred classes. These market hogs will be eligible for the crossbred division and DNA samples will be taken.
The National Swine Registry, PO Box 2417, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996, offers $500.00 to the Overall Grand Champion Market Hog and $250.00 to the Overall Reserve Grand Champion Market Hog if it is a registered Duroc, Hampshire, Landrace, or Yorkshire. All purebred market hogs are to be guaranteed negative of the stress gene to exhibit at the Kansas State Fair. The NSR will test the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion provided such animal is a purebred. If the animal tests as either a positive or carrier of the stress gene, the NSR premium will be withheld. The exhibitor must have a transferred pedigree of the Grand Champion Animal in hand at the time of being named Grand Champion. The exhibitor must submit this animal to a DNA verification test and the animal must meet all registration requirements to receive this special premium. A representative of the National Swine Registry must collect the pedigree and must be present at the time of DNA sampling. This special premium will be paid directly from the National Swine Registry. Winners must submit proof of registry and supply appropriate picture to the NATIONAL SWINE REGISTRY within thirty days of the show to receive their award.