Kansas’ Largest Classroom Lesson Plans
Kansas State Fair
Level: Primary Grades K-2
Topic: Math Shapes
Objectives: Through discussion and hands-on activities, student will name and recognize basic shapes.
Materials: Visual Aides, Drawing paper (optional), Building Shapes (Available at the KC3 Kansas Construction Learning Center)
Before the Fair
1) As a group discussion, ask the students to name different shapes. Have students cut out, observe manipulatives, or draw as many different shapes as they know.
2) Discuss the different characteristics of each shape by asking questions like, “What makes a circle special?” Talk about sides, corners, no corners.
3) Ask the students to provide examples of shapes around the classroom.
4) Ask the students to provide examples of shapes that were used in the construction of their school building or houses.
Examples: Rectangle Blocks, Square tiles, Triangle Roofs, ect.
At the Fair
1) Have the students recognize and point out the different shapes at the KC3 Kansas Construction Learning Center. (Located at the intersection of Lake Talbot and Fort Leavenworth Roads)
2) Encourage the students to see how many different buildings they can make with the Building Blocks at the KC3 KansasConstruction Learning Center.
3) Encourage the students to use different blocks and to see how many different shapes they can incorporate into their designs.
4) Class project- build toolbox.
After the Fair
1) As a group, have the students discuss the different shapes that they saw and used while at the KC3 Kansas Construction LearningCenter.
2) As a bonus activity, ask the students which shapes provided stronger bases in their designs.
3) Do a “Geometry Walk” around the school building.