The 35th Infantry Division Band traces its lineage to April 18, 1922, when it was formed as the Band Section, Service battery, 130th Field Artillery of the 35th Infantry Division at Hiawatha, Kansas. The band was subsequently assigned as an element of the 24th Cavalry Division in 1924 and served as the band for several cavalry and field artillery units throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s.
At the onset of World War II, the band was relieved from the 35th Infantry Division on February 3, 1942, and re-designated as the 346th Army Air Force Band in 1942 and the 646th Army Army Band from 1943 to 1944. The band was deactivated from federal service on December 31, 1944.
In 1946 the band was re-constituted as the 42nd Army Band. In 1984 the band received its current designation as the 35th Infantry Division Band, and in 1996 the band was returned to the Adjutant General’s command. Currently, the band falls under the leadership of the 69th Troop Command and is headquartered in Olathe, Kansas.
The 35th Infantry Division Band has served in Ecuador, Honduras, and Costa Rica, as well as performing in countless venues in Kansas and across the United States.