Nomination Forms Due August 25
Kansas Fairs & Festivals Association Hall in the ENCAMPMENT BUILDING
2:00 pm, Sunday, September 10, 2017
INTENT: To recognize an outstanding Kansas 4-H or FFA agriculture/livestock oriented youth. One individual may be entered by each county or consolidated county fair youth program. Selection and nomination criteria are delegated to the County Fair Board but each contestant must be certified by their Extension Agent (4-H) or Vocational Agriculture Instructor (FFA).
One contestant can be entered by each county or
consolidated county fair that is a current member of the Kansas Fairs &
CLICK HERE TO SEE IF YOUR COUNTY FAIR IS A MEMBER
Counties beginning with : A - M
Counties beginning with : N - Z
- Contestants must be at least 16 years of age but not over 19 years of age as of January 1, 2017.
- The Superintendents of the contest, in cooperation with the contest committee, will be in charge of the contest. They shall have the authority for the interpretation of the policies.
- Nominations must be sent to the Kansas State Fair by August 25. Nomination forms are available from your County Fair Board.
- Participants that finish in first place or second place in the Challenge of Champions contest will not be eligible to compete in future contests.
- The contestants will be furnished with placing cards and any other necessary forms. No contestant will be allowed to have books, notes, pamphlets, phones, or electronic devices during the contest.
- While contest is in session there shall be NO COMMUNICATION among contestants or anyone other than the group leader.
- Format of Contest and Point Value:
1. Written test with 25 questions concerning total agricultural/livestock industry 50 points
2. Identification of 10 pieces of livestock equipment 40 points
3. Identification of 25 breeds of beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, hogs, goats, & horses 50 points
4. Identification of 10 concentrate and/or roughage 40 points
5. Identification of 10 retail cuts of meat 40 points
6. Identification of 10 common crops (either plant or seed) 20 points
7. Identification of 10 common weeds (plant only) 20 points
8. Identification of 5 common agronomic items including deficiency symptoms, fertilizers, inoculants, ag lime, soil probes, etc. 10 points
9. Written test with 25 questions on farm equipment 50 points
10. Written test with 25 questions on farm management 50 points
11. Written test with 25 questions on general agriculture 50 points
12. Ag Mechanics - Identification of tractor parts 40 points
13. Five minute, impromptu presentation on agricultural subject provided 50 points
Total 200 points
The overall individual ranking shall be determined by the total of each contestant’s points earned from the contest.
The Kansas Fairs & Festivals Association will award a
$2,250 scholarship to the top two individuals, provided: 1) The nominating
County Fair is an active member in good standing of the Kansas Fairs &
Festivals Association and 2) The
student is enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours per
semester or equivalent) in an accredited post secondary college, university or
vocational school within Kansas, and maintains a GPA of 3.0 or above. A check
for $500.00 will be issued for the immediate past semester. The top two
individuals who meet the aforementioned requirements will also receive a
one-time award of $250.00 each after they have been recommended by the General
Manager, Kansas State Fair and have provided proof of enrollment in an
institution of higher learning to the Executive Director, Kansas
Fairs & Festivals Association.